January 25, 2010

Chicken Wild Rice Soup

I have never made soup before (from scratch...I am darn good at opening a can! Ha!).  On Sunday after a morning of playing outside in the freshly fallen heavy white snow, I could think of nothing better to feed the family than some yummy, comforting, warm soup.  So...I went where I've never gone before and made a new recipe for Cream of Chicken Wild Rice soup from my cousin.  After just one touch of the soup to his lips, my husband said, "Wow, this is really good!".  Why thank you.  :)  Not so bad if I do say so myself.

1 onion chopped
1 large carrot shredded
1 celery rib chopped
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. flour
8 c. chicken broth
3 c. cooked wild rice
1 c. cubed cooked chicken
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 c. evaporated milk
1/4 c. chives snipped

In large saucepan, saute onion, carrot and celery in butter until tender.  Stir in flour until blended.  Gradually add broth.  Stir in the rice, chicken, salt and pepper.

Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Stir in evaporated milk; cook 3-5 minutes longer.  Garnish with chives.  Enjoy!

No comments: