May 15, 2010

On A Stick!

It seems like everything is showing up on a stick lately (no, I'm not talking about State Fair food!) and as a mom of young kids, I love it!  Treats on a stick are so much fun to enjoy...why is that?!  Well kids and adults all love them and they're easy to eat, too.

*My first fun discovery are Cake Pops, by Bakerella.  Hello, adorable!  I mean could anything be cuter?!  Of course Bakerella's are totally ornate and amazing, but even just a plain little cake ball is so cute!  I haven't personally tried to make these yet, but my sister made some bunches for Mother's Day and put them in vases, to look like flowers.  They were delicious and adorable!  Check out Cake Pops and all the other amazing treats at www.bakerella.com!

*My second discovery are Cookie Pops!  My friend Kelly had these for her sons birthday party and I couldn't get over how FUN they were!  What a great treat!  It got me thinking about lots of other ways to use them...  We made them today at our house and here's the process:


All you need is:
One tube (12 oz) cookie dough
Two (2 oz) Milky Way bars
12 popsicle sticks

Cut each candy bar into 6 pieces (width-wise) and put a popsicle stick in each....

Divide the tube of cookie dough, flatten out, and wrap around each stick, forming into a ball...

Place on a cookie sheet about 3 inches apart and bake for 14-15 minutes!

Voila!  Yummy chocolate chip cookies with a gooey caramel center - and on a stick!  So fun!

I have to admit, my Cookie Pops were a little top heavy.  I tried to take them off the baking sheet too soon (after only about 5 minutes) and they were still too fresh, causing some of the sticks to fall right out.  Bummer.  I also had the large size popsicle sticks (the "craft sticks", you know?) and maybe that caused some trouble.  I'm making one more batch tonight for a little neighborhood campfire we're going to, so I'm going to try with some smaller popsicle sticks I found in the craft bin.

I think these Cookie Pops will be my baby boy's special treat for his first birthday, coming up soon!  We'll be traveling and I thought these would be a good alternative to brining cupcakes along.  I have to think of some way to adorn them and make them extra special...I have a few ideas...do you???

*My final "on a stick" discovery is really nothing new, just something innovative for those of us with little kids!  They are called "Mighty Minis" from Popsicle brand.  These popsicles are super miniature (about 1.5 inches tall) and perfect for a post dinner treat this summer.  In addition to the perfect kiddie portion size, they have some gelatin in them, which makes them melt slowly!  How genius!  I don't think I need to say much more...(other than: go out and get yours now because they are hard to find!).

Mighty Minis are so cute!

So.....do you have any "on a stick" discoveries to share???


No comments: