May 9, 2011

(Un)Crafty - Painted Chevron Shower Curtain

Hi Mamas!  I hope Mother's Day was blessed for each of you!  Mine was very lovely - spending time with my sweet family.  I also tackled a small, easy, totally (Un)Crafty project this weekend!

You may remember this little house tour post where I realized how completely boring my bathrooms are.  Blah.

Before
I've since hung some colorful artwork that I wasn't using (framed postcards, to be exact) to help de-boring the space, but I decided the biggest problem was the white shower curtain.  I like the simplicity of it, but wanted to add something.

So, I decided to paint a design on the curtain using paint I already own.  The paint may not be the color I would have chosen if I could've spend some money, but it turned out great anyway.

I've been loving all the chevron patterned crafts, so I decided that would be a fun addition to the bathroom.  I found some advice on creating a chevron pattern here, but it seemed a little complicated, so I called my sister for some advice.  Then I measured out my shower curtain, decided how many stripes I wanted, and with a little simple division and addition, I figure out the dimensions I would have to paint.

I laid my shower curtain out on the laundry room floor and measured the points of the pattern first, marked with a pencil and then just connected the dots with masking tape.  This was the most tedious part.  If you want more details on how I measured, leave me a comment and I'd be happy to explain!  After the taping, I was ready to paint.  It was that simple.  I had to be extra careful to get enough paint on the edges so the lines were neat and clean.  I removed the tape from each stripe immediately after painting to avoid any bleeding.  It worked great!

After!

Next up: something to spice up the lower level bathroom.  Hmmm...

5 comments:

Mary said...

Your shower curtain looks great!! You do a great job with so many different projects!! Way to go, Jill!!
XXOO,MOM

Emily said...

What type if paint did you use? Fabric paint or any kind of paint? Do you think it matters?
Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

How did you figure out the measurements for taping?

Anonymous said...

What type of curtain and paint did you use?

Anonymous said...

What type of curtain and paint did you use?