September 19, 2010

(Un)Crafty - Trend Necklace

For the past year, I have really been loving the accessory trends I see in stores.  However, I rarely want to spend the money to update my collection.  I think accessories are a great way to keep your wardrobe current.  Recently, I saw a necklace from Love Stitched that I wanted to make.  So, I enlisted my crafty sister to help me!  Last weekend we got some time to make this:

Yep - that's my beautiful sister adorning her new necklace.  The whole project only took about 20-30 minutes.  We bought a variety of chains (from Michael's and JoAnn's - all with coupons!), some ribbon, and some hoops.  My sister had some tools she uses for her jewelry, so we were all set!

We cut the chains to the lengths we wanted - each chain was a sightly different length.  I chose to make my necklace pretty chunky with lots of strands.  We used all different kinds of chains: color, texture, and style.

Here are the chains all looped through a small hoop at each end.  Now to attach the ribbon:

We tied slip-knots on each end with about 16 inches of ribbon.  The slip knots allow for the necklace to shorten/lengthen as desired.

The finished product!  We were really happy with the result.  So easy and so affordable!  Happy crafting!

1 comment:

alissa {33shadesofgreen} said...

Hi Jill -
Love this necklace! I think I'm going to have to try it!

Thanks so much for your comment about my jewelry organizers. Can't wait to see yours!
Alissa