November 20, 2010

(Un)Crafty - Glass Rock Magnets

This is a truly uncrafty project - perfect for people like me!  Last weekend we were in a snowstorm and it was perfect for staying in and crafting away.  So we did!  I was with my mom and sister (helpful to be around super crafty people when I'm less-than-crafty) and we did zillions of these glass rock magnets.

Tools you will need:
- glass filler rocks (available at Michaels and other craft stores)
- a clear gel adhesive (like Martha Stewart clear gel adhesive - available at Michaels)
- hot glue gun
- magnets
- scrapbook paper
- scissors



Glass rocks have one domed side and one flat side.  Lay them out flat and get ready to trace.

Since each rock is unique in size, I traced one at a time, then cut around the traced circle and left the corresponding rock on top.  That way, I didn't lose which rock fit on which paper.  Once I had several, I cut them and glued them all together.  As you can see, my son had a little play-doh fun going on at the same time.

Once the paper is cut, apply a small amount of the gel adhesive and press together.

Once the adhesive seems dry, you can apply the magnets.

Use your hot glue gun to attach a magnet to the back (the flat side) of each rock.

I really love these magnets!  It was such a fun, easy project!  They look so lovely and decorative on my magnetic board.

These magnets are so inexpensive, you could easily make seasonal sets to give as gifts!  I think these might be great teacher gifts...



3 comments:

Amy C said...

I love these things! I made some a while back, but this makes me want to make some more. Thanks for sharing. Visiting from TT&J.
Amy @ The Happy Scraps

stacey said...

I love these magnets! I've made some before but I went the slightly more lazy route... got the smaller, round rocks and bought a scrapbook hole punch that was the right size. :)

Fowl Single File said...

Really? They're that easy to make? Well, I just may have to try them. This is going on my to-do list for sure!