November 23, 2010

(Un)Crafty - Lamp Shade Redo

The lamps in my house have had many lives.  I think lamps are expensive and hard to choose.  All of my lamps have come from clearance somewhere and have then been given some sort of fix-it treatment or makeover.  The lamp in our living room is the latest revamp.  I painted the base with a spray primer and then a classic gray gloss coat.  Next, all I had to do was recover the shade.  I followed Alissa's tutorial for covering a lampshade.  It was easy and turned out so great that now I want to recover every single lamp in the house!

It started with my shade - in terrible condition from many-a-redo - and just enough fabric.

My crafty sister helped me because she has done lamps in her house, too.  We traced the shade on paper, then used that as a pattern to cut the fabric.

We used this spray adhesive to stick the fabric to the shade.  It was so easy!  We sprayed the fabric with the adhesive, then just smoothed it over the shade.  Seriously easy.

I trimmed the edges down.  Then I took the hot glue gun to the edges to fold them over nice and tight.

The final step for me was to add this bias tape (available in every color!) as a detail around the top and bottom edges.  This is totally optional.  I just used fabric tape (called Res-Q Tape) - a double sided tape especially for fabric from JoAnn's to stick the tape to the shade.

Here you can see the detail of the bias tape.

The finished product.

I am so happy with the new life this has given my super old super cheap lamp.

And she looks pretty in my living room!  Hooray!

No comments: