November 1, 2010

Some days are like that...

Today was just one of those days.

You know what I mean, right, mamas?

We all have them.  For some reason, sometimes its hard to admit that we have them.

Let me explain:

My youngest woke up super early which means its going to be a tough morning from the start.  My oldest woke up wanting his Daddy (who was already at an early breakfast meeting).
We tried to run errands and get to storytime at the library in the chilly early morning weather.  We accomplished both but only with both kids crying: sometimes at the same time, sometimes at different times.  I was getting those looks.  You know, the ones like: "What is wrong with those children"?
Luckily both kiddos napped well but I accomplished almost nothing while I tried to clean up our disaster of a house: laundry, dishes, toys, art projects, Halloween treats, you-get-the-picture.
Then I ran around town with my screaming one-year-old to print photos and buy poster board for a project.  The big boy was with my hubby for a quick visit to the hockey team's captain practice.
When we got home, hubby left for work and big boy had an accident in his pants (and on the floor).  Oops.  Then I stepped in little boy's dirty diaper (in the bathroom, thank goodness) while I was giving the boys an early bath.
While getting their picnic dinners ready, I spilled yogurt all over the kitchen (yep: cabinets, appliances and floor).  I'll be scrubbing up after the kids are in bed.  Yay.
Hubby is gone tonight until who-knows-when.  Oh well.
Let's hope bedtime is a breeze (yeah, right).

It was just one of those days.

But I'm okay with that because I know we all have them.  Sometimes I feel like I have failed when I have a day like that.  But what do we tell our kids when something doesn't turn out just right??  We smile and say, "Sometimes that happens".

I'm giving myself the same grace.

I'm telling myself, "Some days are like that".  I've had them before and I'm sure to have them again (LOTS!).

A day like that doesn't mean I am a failure, it means I am human.  I am a mama.  And happy to be a mama....

even with days like that.


Our picnic dinners happen sometimes when hubby is working late and consist of: deli meat, cheese, crackers, fruit and yogurt prepared by Mom.  They get to eat at the kids' table downstairs and watch a kids' show while I get a moment of detox!  Win, win!

2 comments:

Brent and Jennifer Hafele said...

Jill -- Sorry to hear your day went south after we saw you at storytime! You are so good at keeping it all in perspective, though ... and YOUR way of keeping it in perspective is good for ME when I'm having a hard time keeping things in perspective!! Thanks for your great blog. :-) Jen H.

Mary said...

Sounds like quite a day yesterday...you have the right attitude. Keep smilin!