November 8, 2010

(Un)Crafty - Chalkboard Charger

Maybe I'm becoming a little less "uncrafty" because lately I feel inclined to make-something-out-of-something-else.  A little confusing.  For example, I found this metal charger on clearance at Target a while ago and knew it could be something neat...

I liked the circular shape and the cut-outs.

It was even more on sale...like $2.06 or something.

I had bought this chalkboard spray paint on clearance at Michaels and I was just waiting for a chance to use it.  So, I scuffed up the metal, wiped it off with a wet rag and primed it.  
Total time: 5 minutes or less!

Then I sprayed a few coats of chalkboard paint all over the charger.  I think I found out why the paint was on clearance: the nozzle drips and leaves yucky blotches all over the piece.  But, I plan to sand it and try a couple new coats for a more even finish.

I think I mentioned before, but I'm not really crazy about wreaths, which is why I love this chalkboard charger on my front door for now!  Total time for this project: about 30 minutes (more for each coat of spray paint applied).  This piece can also hold magnets and be used in many placed throughout my home!  Definitely worth it!

2 comments:

Meredith said...

LOVE it! So easy, but so cute!

LeahMarie said...

*love* this project, jill!!