September 16, 2011

Barely There Summer Decor

Summer was such a whirlwind that I didn't do as much summer decor as I would have liked.  Pretty much the only existence of anything summery was on the mantle downstairs.  I had hoped to make an easy little pennant to hang from the mantle, too, but with house showings - all projects came to a stop.

My sister gave me these little apothecary jars that she found somewhere online.  
They are perfect for this space because they are short and don't block the viewing.

The trick is finding something small enough to fit in the jars.  My mom traveled to Bali with my dad for work and brought back the white coral she found on the beach so I took some small pieces of that and filled one jar.  The beach glass I found at the Dollar Tree (yes, for $1!) in the decor section.  It added just a little color and was easy to fit in the smallest jar.

I also had some sand that I got with a merchandise credit at Pier 1 and filled the third jar with that.  The little vase is from IKEA but was not bought for this, just thought it looked "beachy" enough to join the ensemble.  I also added the little mercury glass votive holders because I liked the shiny addition to the mantle.

So there it is: the compilation of my barely there summer decor...exciting right?  Maybe not.  Oh well.  I'm actually more excited to use those jars this fall and see what we can fill them with...

No comments: