June 1, 2010

From One Mom To Another

Recently, I had a friend say, "You are such an amazing mom".  Just like that.  I mean - what?  First of all, "Thanks"!  Second of all, I really had been feeling overwhelmed and dumpy about mommyhood in recent days and this completely changed my outlook...so...."Thanks again"!

My friend went on to say that she admires the way I play with my kids and be silly, always with a joyful smile on my face.  I was so touched that she noticed.  Its not always easy to have the energy of my two year old and almost-one-year-old.  Its not always easy to run around looking like a weirdo with my kids.  Its not always easy to be a mom.


This lovely comment from a friend completely changed my outlook and made me feel confident.  It was a simple observation on her part and a simple mention to me, but it was much more than simple for me.  In the week since my friend complimented me, I have focused more on the parts of mothering that I am best at and less on the parts of mothering where I feel inadequate.

I've moved forward feeling as though I'm doing a good job with my kids.  I am not the same as any other mom, but my kids aren't the same as any other kids, either.  I do my best everyday to show my kids how much they are loved and if I focus on that, I can't go wrong.  I'm thankful for my friend's observation and comment and how its opened my eyes to my strengths.  In fact, its made such a difference for me that I plan to pass-it-on by pointing out the amazing qualities I see in other moms.

Way to go, YOU - you're an amazing mom, too.



No comments: