June 25, 2010

(Un)Crafty - Green Topiaries

Yep, I did another craft...but, again, it didn't take much skill.  YOU can do it, too!

I was in need of some life and a little green above my bookshelf in the living room.  So, with my sister's crafty help, I attempted one of these topiaries.  And - lo-and-behold - it turned out great!  I decided to make a set of three to balance out the shelf and I think they turned out well.

All my supplies were from Michaels (I waited for good coupons!).
1. styrofoam ball - any size (preferably green in color)
2. leaves, greenery, flowers, or sprouts like mine to glue onto ball
3. hot glue
4. wooden dowel
5. raffia
6. pot, vase, or other vessel for base
7. oasis to fill base

Basically, I just hot glued the little green sprouts to the styrofoam ball (which was originally white, so I had to spray paint it green - ugh) until it was packed full.  Then I cut the wooden dowel to my desired length and stuck it in the ball with a little hot glue.  I then wrapped the dowel in raffia to give it a little texture, hot gluing the raffia along the way.  I chose terra cotta pots that I then Mod-Podged with old pages from a book.  Pretty simple, pretty easy.  A good nap-time project for a Mama!

The finished product:

No comments: