February 14, 2011

Love, Hearts, and Cake Pops

Valentine's Day is a holiday we don't celebrate too much around this house.  I'm not a fan of the holiday because I feel that flowers are too expensive and the reason to express your love on a "Hallmark Holiday" shouldn't be more than any other day.  Then I saw this commercial while I was at the gym...it changed my mind, a little.

I had more fun decorating this year.  We had some hearts hanging around and a few other things to help us enjoy the "love" holiday.  I found some free printable typography and printed some of those, put them in frames around the house.  I have even more ideas for next year after browsing blogland.  Of course.

A few of the easy ways we celebrated Valentine's day this year:

Heart shaped pizzas for the kids, made my my fabulous friend, Mollie!

We had some fun this year with my son's Valentine's celebration at school.  I made a box for him to take to school for Valentine exchanges.  He wasn't interested in participating in my original idea, so I decided to take matter into my own hands and go for something a little more interesting...

Logan's Valentine Express

Original inspiration and tutorial from Tangled and True.  Easy.

Then since I am in charge of the class snack for the preschool Valentine party, I decided it was a good time to try to make Cake Pops.  My sister made some cute cake pops last year and I have been dying to try it, but a little scared, too.  If you have never visited Bakerella.com, I recommend checking it out!  Fun, inspirational, and sometimes easy baking ideas!

I learned that cake pops are not really too difficult, they just take some time and patience...

and a big mess!

I had about fourteen extra hands helping me with these cake pops, so I am not going to take much credit.  All our college aged friends came over to help with the process and they were Ah-Maze-Ing!  We used all peanut-free ingredients (school rules) and added sprinkles and tags for extra-festive-fun.  To see an informative video on how to make cake pops, click here.

We woke up today and the boys had a little scavenger hunt to find their silly present...
they loved finding their clues, following directions, and eating candy at 7am.  Ha!

Happy LOVE Day to you and ALL those you LOVE, mamas!


1 comment:

Meredith said...

Oh man, I wanna eat a billion of those cake pops!!!!