February 9, 2011

Two Finished Projects!

If you are like me, you probably have lots of started projects, not a lot of finished projects.  I think that is just the nature of being a mama.  I don't let it get me down...I just relish in the projects when they are finally finished!  Between Sunday and Monday this week, I was able to finish up the teacher valentine gifts and make the dish mat I've been coveting!

I found a set of six valentine-y pencils at Michaels for $1 and bought the cutest candy I could find: salt water taffy.  I bagged up the candy, added the pencils and a valentine card in the bag.  Then, I tied the bag with ribbon from the Target Dollar Spot and voila!  Finished product!  Cute, handmade-ish teacher gift that is sure to be somewhat original (I think) for only about $3 each.

As for the dish mat, I needed serious help from my crafty family.  I don't sew, but I think this is my biggest attempt at sewing so far.  I attempted pillows a while back, but I enlisted more help for those.  The dish mat was a lot of seaming and measuring.  In fact, it was kinda a lot of work for this non-sewer. It made me not want to sew...I thought I was ready to dive into sewing, but this project reminded me that I probably don't have the time or patience at this point.  But...

I do love the finished product!  My dish mat is about 24" x 16".  I would suggest making it a little smaller.  This size serves me well, but I have a large space on my counter.  I think a smaller size would serve any kitchen well!  I hope to make a couple more because I have more fabric.  I will definitely make them smaller and I think I will skip the piecing fabric and just make them cute fabric on one side and terrycloth on the other.  (I was going to use an old towel on the back side, but ended up cutting a piece of terrycloth to fit.)

For the tutorial, click here.  Hers looks so sophisticated with her cute bowl and glasses resting on it.  Mine speaks differently, but truthfully about my life: full of craziness and kidstuff!




3 comments:

Mike and Sarah said...

Super duper cute Jill! I'm very impressed!

molliehogan said...

you are so cute! i LOVE the dish mat!

Meredith said...

I love that you made those boring note pads soooo cute!!! I'm definitely going to make that dish towel too!!!!